Sunday 29 January 2017

The Alluminarchate of Hysh

Tonight, when darkness will embrace the land and the light of courage will fickle in our heart, we shall walk again the Path of the Enlightened and reflect upon the Fifth Mystery of Sehemaza:
"He who witnesses my radiant splendor shall see his deeds restored and preserved, stronger than stone, purer than light, as to embrace my Law means to resist the ways of the Changer" 
Glory to the Luminarch, Alluminas be praised






New year, new project! As some of you might have noticed I took a couple of months break from the hobby, while I was struggling to get enough motivation to finish any of my (many) ongoing projects... Of course when inspiration stroke me again it urged me to start a new one, as if I did not have enough down the pipeline. Anyway, I should blame for it the great Bruticus at Ex Profundis (go check his blog, amazing stuff over there) as his recent chaos warband of worshippers of Malal sparkled in me way more than just nostalgia for the old world pantheon and gave me a idea for an AoS bunch of worshippers of the Law God Alluminas the Protector.
Not much is remembered of this deity in the Age of Sigmar (and indeed not much was even known in the World that Was) apart form the fact that Alluminas is one of the three Chaos Gods of Law (delightful paradox of the Moorcock's legacy of the early warhammer), an entity of astral complexity whose sole purpose is to undo the deeds of Chaos by fighting change in every form.
Some of you might remember the Law Gods from the first edition of WFRP, where they were briefly mentioned as beings rarely worshipped as the associated creeds are generally beyond human comprehension or desires. But the Age of Sigmar is a completely different time, and we can imagine that after centuries of chaos rampages some of the inhabitants of the Mortal Realms might desire a bit more... stability! Well Alluminas would definitely bring them some if only he cared or even existed!

Let's jump to this project then, which revolves around the idea of a small kingdom in the Realm of Hysh (Light) protected by an order of warrior-monks called the Luminarchate whose hq is an abbey/library which survived miraculously the Age of Chaos. Much like our own benedictine monks during the Dark Ages, I imagined the Luminarchate to have origined from an order of monks who spent centuries collecting and protecting all the knowledge they could find, copying it in manuscripts and enchanted tomes which they kept locked in a giant Fortress-Library. It was thorough their endless quest that they found out about the Law Gods and started to worship Alluminas for protection, trusting the Unmoving God with the preservation of their holy work.
When Sigmar's Storm broke and the Age of Chaos came to an end the ancient Realmgate deep in the heart of the Abbey cracked open and a small company of marble clad giants emerged from the swirling void beyond. Similar in appearance to the image of their god the Luminarchate named them Astrafteros, the Gleaming Ones and started worshipping them as emanations of their god. These divine warriors spoke to the people of the Luminarchate telling them that the time had come to leave the boundaries of their hiding place and finally spread the True Word of the Law to the rest of the land and to liberate them from the curse of change. Armed with all the knowledge of times long gone the Luminarchate warriors are powerful indeed and their zeal is unshakeable like the will of their god.
Strangely they do not seem to see any difference between their patron and the astral god worshipped by the Astrafteros, who in turn never spoke against their creed or their rites. Are Sigmar and Alluminas one and the same or are the new comers exploiting the religious fervor of the Lminarchate to fulfill their own goals?

I will leave you to ponder this, in the meantime here goes the first WIP of one of the elite warriors of the Luminarchate... eternal glory to whom will manage to tell me where all the bits come from (there are a LOT of different kits there). I will start painting this bad boy (good boy?) very soon, and will post more angles and better pics later this week.


34 comments:

  1. That marble effect is absolutely stunning! Beautiful miniature.

    The WIP is also looking good, it's cool to see 40k bits used in fantasy, it's usually the other way around.

    Has your greenstuff allergy gotten better?

    /apoteos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree, but it's one of the advantage of AoS... Infinite conversion possibilities as the factions are limitless, so it's actually ok to come up with different aesthetics for different regions. I enjoyed converting this warrior of Alluminas precisely because of the freedom I had when mixing bits from the whole range.
      My green stuff allergy is still there btw, I just manage to keep it at bay by reducing sculpting session to 1/2 hours and taking breaks every now and then, which actually works well with the drying times of the putty and taught me a bit more patience :)

      Delete
  2. Well, if you are going to paint a gang in such amazing level I think I can leave the brushes and star to raise mussels (as we would say in Spain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha, never heard that said (and I lived one long year in Spain). The stormcast was a very quick paint job, around 3 hours in total (excluding assembly), so one of my fastest. The trick to the marble effect is to diluite the shades with a medium instead of water, as it keeps them much softer and allows them to blend smoothly on the surface. Then you trace the lines with a mechanical pencil and that's basically it! I could try to make a tutorial next time I paint one of them if you are interested.

      Delete
  3. Very cool to see you back to work with your wondeful conversions and clean painting.

    The marble effect on the stormcast is cool, and the conversion looks really promising.

    Any idea of the color scheme for this faction ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate :)
      Colour scheme should tie them with the stormcasts, so I am thinking gold, warm white, purple/red and turquoise details. I am struggling a bit with the idea of using too much gold on his armour though, I am not sure whether it will feel right or not, but the palette should feel consistent throughout the war band.
      Hagen

      Delete
    2. And instead a gold armour, why not a red/purple or a white armour ?
      For exemple : white armour, purple clothes and golden details...

      Delete
    3. You're right it might work! I should probably experiment on some bits before splatting some paints on it! Too much time spent converting it!

      Delete
  4. Man, that is exquisite work on the Marble. Direct save to the inspiration folders :)

    Glad to see some sculpting work again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sebastian, glad you like it!

      I recently joined the AoS28 project launched by ExProfundis and hosted on The Grand Alliance forum, I would recommend you to have a look and maybe join it as well... Would be great to ave you on board!

      Hagen

      Delete
  5. The marble is out of this world. Am looking at painting a "gem stone" armoured army of SE... Jade armour with White marble trim.... and opposite for officers..... in answer to your previous response "PLEASE MAKE A TUTORIAL" I get the washes etc. But watching u do it would be so much easier. Thank u...
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Craig!
    Gemstone armours sound like they could be incredible but also quite difficult to achieve! Do you have any specific technique in your mind?
    Jade and marble is going to work out fantastic, it's been ages since I last painted a nice jade effect. For the marble tutorial, I will gladly do one as soon as I get to paint my next stormacast, which could happen within a couple of weeks if we are lucky :)
    Hagen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping it will do yes. And just ur generic layering of how u would paint an actual Gem stone from like the 40k Eldar or something.... 3 or 4 colours applied thinly with shades in between... but broaden the size out. So instead of it being a Gem. It would be the left and right side of the breast plate, helmet, greaves etc. Paint them individually........... or to cheat a bit. Just paint like yours. But green in the shade of jade lol

    And thank you. That video can't come soon enough. I'll hold off painting for now then :-). Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. U could maybe incorporate the jade into the armour too. (Paint what I want my models to look like so to speak) :-)

      Delete
    2. Ahaha, that is a very specific request! I will see what I can do ;)
      In the meantime, you might find this marble tutorial useful... It is not exactly my recipe, but it's close enough and I took quite a lot of inspiration from it (especially the part of the mechanical pencil)... Check it out!
      http://thegodmachines.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/how-i-learned-to-love-marble.html

      Delete
  8. Thanks. The process doesn't look that tedious actually. And was merely suggesting that u could as u said it's been ages since u did Jade (green marble) lol
    Craig...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can guarantee you 100% it's not tedious at all, in fact it's quite simple and quick! I am talking about army batch-paint quick. If you refine it you could get it done in less than 1hour per model I am sure.
    Hagen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea. I just know in the past when I've done washes over white they come out very dark so to speak. Not diluted down enough. That's kind of the part I need to master. I mean u both have that perfect cream colour that's a bit whiter in places and a bit browner/orangey in others. And ur hints of blue are a great touch. Mine would come out brown and blue haha!!! I know it
    Craig...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is using Lahmian Medium to thin your inks! Seriously, it works amazingly good, not letting the ink to pool in some areas and create those annoying stains. I have the impression that it also take less time to dry compared to water.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Mr....
    Question. When u actually get around to some more painting how will we know. Like is there notifications available or something. Or will it Email as if u have replied to a comment? If u know at all

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very good question Craig! I have no idea though, I suppose followers should get notifications every time there is a new post, but I would not know whether this would come via email or via your own blog (if you have one!)
      Thing is, I am quite bad at technology, painting is my thing:)
      Hagen

      Delete
  12. Haha! See I'm quite good at technology. But havnt actually joined this site so to speak. Or following it. Eeeeekk! Just googled "Marble miniatures" or something, and followed a link from one of ur pictures. It allowed me to comment on it and that's what I've been doing lol
    Craig....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lavoro incredibile,mi piacerebbe tanto un tutorial su come fare il marmo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Paco, tutorial in arrivo la prossima volta che dipingo uno stormcast, promesso! Nel frattempo ti raccomando quello gia' postato in precedenza
      http://thegodmachines.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/how-i-learned-to-love-marble.html
      che mi e' stato parecchio utile per elaborare la mia personale tecnica.
      Hagen

      Delete
  14. Any luck on painting anymore Stormcast Hagen? :-)

    We both know you want too

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, you might be quite right Craig... No plans for one yet, but I will have to paint another one for this war band as the red is not really fitting the rest of my warband anymore!

      Delete
    2. Me again!!! Haha!!! Don't suppose you've managaged to paint up ur Stormcast yet hehe. I'm dying for this Marble scheme hehe!!!! I've actually been so busy myself I havnt had a chance to paint mine even if I wanted too

      Thanks again

      Delete
  15. Hey Craig!
    Sorry to disappoint you but my painting time has been really limited lately:(
    I will paint another stormiest (and maybe more than one) in the future, but still don't know when, as I have got other projects to complete down the pipeline as well. That said the AoS28 warband that I am currently and slowly working on at the moment will include a stormiest in the marble scheme you can see above, so I might change my mind and paint one sooner than I thought. Stay tuned!
    Hagen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey...... how did your AoS28 Warband come along?

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lavoro incredibile,mi piacerebbe tanto un tutorial su come fare il marmo.


    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า
    Gclub จีคลับ

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is actually good to read the content of this blog. here is very general and the huge knowledgeable platform has been known by this blog. I have some information regarding Win Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Giveaway Free.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you're American, soccer probably isn't your cuppa tea.
    ข่าวด่วนวันนี้

    First of all, at all times I used the soccer teams themselves as a starting point.
    ข่าวสดวันนี้

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your content is consistently excellent. You're doing an outstanding job. For many others, this is quite beneficial. I'm a gamer, by the way, and I'd like to recommend a shader pack for Minecraft to you. You can get the BSL Shaders ​set for free, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the good information! I also discovered an amazing blog similar to yours about digital marketing. Like many professions, digital marketing requires both a core set of hard skills and a longer list of career attributes that might take years to master.

    ReplyDelete